Saturday, August 16, 2008

Remembering Surgery

The next carepage entry I am sharing is on surgery day. I remember the early am visit to the NICU. I felt very torn at those moments before surgery. I was definitely anxious,but also at peace. I knew this was what Claire needed to live. I also knew this could be her death. The doctors had said she may not make it through surgery,and if she did she could be breathing with a ventilator and have a "vegetable" like quality of life. Doctors have a way with words! Of course, the waiting was grueling. At the end of the day this was another one of those times that our angel proved those doctors wrong. ( Please excuse the punctuation & poor sentence structure on the following,but this was exactly how I wrote it on that mind numbing day.)
Posted Jun 14, 2007 2:43pm
Claire is out of surgery...Her surgeon gave us this news over the phone: "Her shunt is in,she has sutures on her head and abd.,started working on her back at 11:30 (they started surgery at 10:00)finished at 3:20(thats when the dr. called)Dr. was able to get a nice seal of dura,which means there will be no leakage of cerebral spinal fluid,her skin was tenuous,relaxing incisions on her sides are big,6 inches on both sides from hip to armpit,breathing on ventilator right now,but presently trying to get her off,if she can come off she can start tube feedings tomorrow,she will need to lay flat for 24 hours,catheter is in and she is getting antibiotics for next couple of days"...She will be back to the NICCU in about an hour from now...These are the notes I took when talking to the dr. so after I see her and talk to the nurses I will give you my interpretation of all that news...The dr. said "she did as as expected" Again lets celebrate this good news that she made it through surgery...So far so good has been the motto for today..We are all very tired but hanging in there...Can't wait to lay my eyes on her and see for myself how she is then I will feel better....More news later

No comments: